Sunday, January 9, 2011

Project: Cake 1

So, in keeping with my New Year's resolution, I completed a project in the first week of January.

Okay, so my mom wanted me to make a cake for a birthday party and I made it the project. But nonetheless, it was a project.

She gave me a lot of liberty as far as design goes. "Something for two women. Maybe pastels." There were a million things I could have done. When I get that much room for creativity, I like to try something I've never done before. Learn something new, ya know? Last time, I learned how to make buttercream roses. So easy, but so pretty. I figured I'd try fondant roses this time. I had all of the tools to do it and now I had a reason. So I made them. I didn't make as many as I planned on doing because, although they are easy, they take a loooong time to make. I got to use some Styrofoam circles that I purchased for but did not end up using for our wedding (tomorrow is our 1 year anniversary, btw). That was pretty... resourceful.

I like doing both frosting and fondant on cakes because a lot of people don't like the taste of fondant and it gives a lot of textural interest. I didn't have enough shortening for the recipe that I was following for the buttercream, so I had to improvise. And it tasted really good, if I do say so myself.

Baked two 10 inch round chocolate cakes, two 6 inch round white cakes, and one 8 inch round chocolate/white marble cake, stacked and frosted 'em up, stuck in the flowers, piped borders/dots/leaves/letters, and there you have. A cute little birthday cake.


It's definitely not perfect (crooked lines and slanted words), but hey. Considering I've never taken a single decorating class, I think it is quite cute. And I heard it was yummy, too. My mom and one of her friends at all of the flowers, haha.

Next project: decorating cupcakes! Jenelle and I are taking a break from our baking nights to do a little decorating. =)

I know I said my first project would be to clean out my trunk so I could find my camera, but my mom got me an iPhone for my birthday. Now I can procrastinate on that project a little longer, haha. Yay for a new fun toy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment