Monday, January 31, 2011

Project: Cupcakes 1 (with recipes!)

Okay, so I've been lagging on updating my blog. Blame my new toy/phone. But I've still been doing projects.

The first: Cupcakes.

I didn't take any pictures of them, but they really weren't that impressive. I don't even remember what color the icing was. Oh, white and pink. But they were really delicious and easy (and healthier than usual), so I'll post the recipe.

BANANA CUPCAKES

1 box of yellow cake mix
1 mashed ripe banana
Water equal to cake mix recipe
Applesauce equal to amount of oil in cake mix recipe

You basically replace the eggs with mashed banana and replace the oil with applesauce and follow the directions on the box. How much banana equals one egg? Eh, guess. I used almost a whole medium-sized mashed up banana to replace three eggs. Spoon it in the muffin liners. Bake them for the minimum time given on the box and keep checking on them until a toothpick comes out cleanly.

I also added semi-sweet chocolate chips to the batter and it gave a nice textural difference.

CINNAMON CHOCOLATE PUMPKIN CUPCAKES

1 box chocolate cake mix (or devil's food or milk chocolate or...)
1 can of pumpkin pie puree (make sure pumpkin is the only ingredient) (and the smaller can, not the big one)
Water equal to cake mix recipe
Applesauce equal to amount of oil in cake mix recipe
1 tsp cinnamon

Mix cake mix, water, applesauce, cinnamon, and about 2/3 of the pumpkin puree can (no oil or eggs). The batter will be thicker than usual, so add a little more applesauce if you think you need it (can you tell I just kind of play it by ear?). Spoon it in the muffin liners. Bake them for the minimum time given on the box and keep checking on them until a toothpick comes out cleanly. This usually takes me longer than the maximum time given, so be patient.

I sometimes add different spices. Cardamom is my favorite. =)






Easy peasy. Healthier. No cholesterol. Low (maybe even non-) fat. Possibly vegan (I haven't checked the box mix ingredients).

Then I made some SUPER yummy pseudo buttercream frosting with just powdered sugar and butter. Ooooh my goodness, was it delicious. How could it not be with those two as the only ingredients? Piped some swirls and roses. Voila.

Other than that, my other project was laundry, which is far less interesting or informative to read about. Except that I finally bleached our white curtains and they're white again!

No comments:

Post a Comment