Saturday, September 24, 2011

Felt Roses

So this is one of the easiest things you can craft up yourself. And there are so many uses for it! You can make a bunch and sew them onto scarves, ballet flats, headbands, sweaters, purses. Or glue them on hair clips, picture frames, pretty much anything. I chose to use my first one to prettify up a present.


Supplies:
1. Felt (You can buy sheets at craft stores for about 30 cents each and they come in a variety of colors)
2. Scissors
3. Hot glue gun
4. Permanent marker

Step One

Plug in your glue gun so it heats up. Draw an open swirl on your felt with your permanent marker. The larger the swirl, the larger the flower will be.


Step Two

Draw a scalloped edge attached to the outer edge of your swirl. Keep in mind that you will be cutting this out inside the lines, so leave enough room to be sure you don't make the scallops touch the swirl. When you get to the center, you will need to make a circle that the bottom of the flower will rest on. Since this was my first, I had no idea how big to make the circle, so I made it bigger than I thought I would need and later trimmed it down.


Looking at it now, I didn't even draw a circle. Let me MS Paint up a better version...


Get it? Good.

Step Three

Cut it out. Be careful to stay inside the lines so you don't get permanent marker on the finished product.


See how I still cut it out even though I didn't draw it? Yeah, draw it. It'll help.

Step Four

Starting with the end that doesn't have the circle, begin rolling it up. Try to keep the bottom nice and flat so it all glues down well. Twirl it up until you reach the circle.


Step Five

Put hot glue on the bottom of the flower. Fold the circle over and press it onto the hot glue, making it the base of the flower. Once the glue cools down, you can trim off any excess from the circle. Now you can sew or glue it onto something!

No comments:

Post a Comment