Saturday, September 24, 2011

Old Cakes

Since I re-did this blog, I figured I should make a post of some of the older cakes I've made since every cake brings something different to the table. These cakes are how I learned decorating. I never went to culinary school or even took one of those classes at the craft stores. Just watched a lot of YouTube and Food Network and tried things out for myself.

This was my attempt at almond frosting. It was... pungent, to say the least. But I liked how simple and cute they were.


This was for my husband's birthday. Black buttercream causes purple teeth, btw. A lot of these pictures are pretty low quality, but the harder I work on a cake, the harder I work to get a good picture. This, obviously, was not a huge deal.


This was my first wedding cake. For my little sister. Also my first tiered cake. So I had seen on TV that you have to put straws or rods to support each tier, but I didn't realize each tier needed to be on its own cake board. This is what culinary school is for, huh? Anyway, I figure that out like a week later. That's why it looks like it's sinking. It actually help up pretty well, looking back on it. It didn't smoosh too much. Also, I didn't make any of these flowers. Now I know how to do that.


Obviously this picture was taken late at night. This was the first time I had used plastic characters. Actually, I don't think I have since then. I also made sugar cookies to use as headstones and numbers. This one was SO easy, and the birthday girl loved it.


Octagon Hollywood cake with (I think) 7 dozen cupcakes. It was all red velvet from scratch. This took foEVer! I'd much rather decorate than bake. The movie stills are printed off from a computer and laminated, provided by the client. Obviously not edible.


This was for my baking buddy. =) Jenelle and I try to get together once every month or two to bake or decorate together. She is such a sweet girl and I enjoy spending the time with her.


These were SOOOOOOO yummy! Chocolate cinnamon with vanilla frosting. I really like the picture, too. =)


A pansy cake. =) I had fun making these flowers! Unfortunately, I didn't realize I arranged them in a sad face shape until my husband pointed it out. This is one of those cakes that I look at and see nothing but flaws... except the flowers. =) (My shell borders are definitely better now)


This is the cake that started it all. I made it for a co-worker's last day. Little did I know, a TON of people were going to be at our school for enrollment, so that TON of people saw this little mini cake. If I would have know, I would have done more, haha! I put it on a styrofoam plate! Anyway, lots of compliments came my way, including an orders and a wedding inquiry. 


This was for a very kind man at my church that has zillions of ties and loves the Rams. I did the star method, covering the cake with individually piped stars. It didn't take as long as I had imagined and it was pretty darned easy, but booooy did my hand hurt!


For my niece's sixth birthday. I was (and still am) quite proud of this cake! I molded Spongebob by hand out of fondant. It wasn't as difficult as I had imagined, but it wasn't easy, either. I loved the colors on this cake. =)


And this, my friends, is my favorite cake I've ever made. I was so nervous making it, but I figured it out. Delivering this was the worst! I should have left the letters off until I got there.


And one new one. This was from my niece's birthday party today. She LOVES nature and will grab her net to go outside and catch a butterfly if she spots one out the window. It's wonderful! She decorated the top cupcake, including breaking the snail. But she didn't mind because that meant she had a slug and a shell. =) FYI, do not try to tint batter violet. It will end up gray. =\



No comments:

Post a Comment